Thursday, May 19, 2011

First!

I wasn't sure what to do for my first post. An introduction? An explanation of what I hope this blog will be? Since I'm not entirely sure what I want this blog to be I figured I'd just write a post about something that's on my mind, and is slightly related to the title of this blog.

Paul Ryan is currently attempting to defend his indefensible budget plan. He recently held a speech not too far from where I live trying to reboot his plan (and I thought the new Spider-man movie was a quick turnaround on a reboot). Basically, as Jon Chait pointed out, Paul Ryan has gone full voodoo. I guess he thinks he isn't getting enough support from the crazy wing of his party? He's mocking people who think that maybe we could increase revenues to close this deficit hole. Since this includes the majority of Americans I'm not sure what he's thinking here. I think he's probably lashing out at those who have criticized his plan by going full Randain on us.

As a part of his reboot he's trotting out some class warfare rhetoric, claiming Obama and the democrats are waging "class warfare" against the rich. Obviously, any assault on the rich is an affront to America and all she stands for, but the problem I have with this rhetoric is if Paul Ryan wants people to stop waging class warfare maybe he and his buddies should stop attacking the poor and middle class! The budget Ryan is trying to defend is a major salvo against those of us who don't own vacation property in the Hamptons. It ends Medicare and basically throws seniors to the wolves, at the same time it gives a massive tax cut to the wealthy. This is an old argument by now, and I won't rehash it here, suffice to point out that while Ryan is complaining that the wealthy are too hard done by in this country, we have the same level of inequality as Uganda:



For Paul Ryan to be upset that the Democrats are waging class warfare would be like Japan being upset with FDR for his harsh rhetoric on December 7, 1941.

No comments:

Post a Comment